The Southwark Pension Fund is part of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and is the largest pension fund in London in terms of scheme membership, with net assets of £1.53 billion.
As part of an ongoing commitment in service delivery, Pension Services is at the start of an exciting journey around future pension provision, service excellence and engagement with scheme members, employers and other stakeholders.
We are looking for an exceptional individual with strong people management and leadership skills to be part of an expanding in-house team. You will need first-class interpersonal, customer service and communication skills, with the ability to interpret regulations and translate it across in such a way that is practical and jargon free.
You will also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and possess the ability to see the wider picture and be open to change and continuous improvement.
Key responsibilities of the Deputy Pensions Manager include:
- lead and manage a pensions administration team of seven officers.
- work in conjunction with the Pensions Trainer on the design of training material to staff, to enhance knowledge and promote a culture of continuous development and learning through periods of transformation and change.
- monitor team and individual performance against agreed service levels, ensuring Southwark Council complies with the LGPS Regulations, and other regulatory best practice, i.e. HMRC and the Pensions Regulator.
- work in collaboration with, and build effective working relationships with HR, Payroll, Pensions Finance, schools and other external employers to find better ways of working and improvements around overall service delivery.
- be a champion for change and not afraid to challenge existing pension processes in the pursuit of service excellence.
- ensure any complaints or disputes are dealt with quickly and effectively, finding common ground and resolving matters wherever possible.
- be responsible for interpreting statutory legislation, and for using the Council’s discretionary powers to make recommendations for decisions in individual cases.
- manage specific pensions projects and deputise for the Pensions Manager as necessary on all aspects of the pensions service.
- Any other duties appropriate to the post and grade.
As an integral part of Pension Services and the Senior Management Team, you will be able to liaise with staff and colleagues at all levels across the Council, providing excellent customer service to end users and other stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who is not afraid of a challenge. You will need drive, tenacity, and the skills and abilities necessary to ensure the pensions administration team performs at the highest level.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact:
Barry Berkengoff (Barry.Berkengoff@southwark.gov.uk) on 020 7525 4915
Peter Hughes (Peter.Hughes@southwark.gov.uk) on 020 7525 4927
Closing date for applications - Sunday 3rd November 2019
Interviews and assessments - week commencing Monday 11th November 2019